Why Duct Leakage Testing Matters in Harrison, NJ
Ductwork that circulates conditioned air throughout your home is essential for optimal HVAC performance. But, the escape of conditioned air from leaky ducts can impact both the comfort and efficiency of your home. The consequences of this leakage are substantial:
- Discomfort: Ducts with leaks result in inconsistent temperatures, creating hot and cold spots and drafts, causing your home to feel either stuffy or chilly, even with a properly working HVAC system.
- Higher energy bills: The existence of leaks in your ductwork compels your HVAC system to intensify efforts in maintaining desired temperatures, leading to escalated energy consumption and higher utility expenses.
- Poor indoor air quality: Leaky ducts have the potential to draw in dust, pollen, and other contaminants from outdoors, putting the indoor air quality at risk and potentially leading to allergies and respiratory problems.
Duct Leakage Testing: A Proactive Approach
Duct leakage testing is a clear-cut yet potent method to identify and measure air leaks within your duct system. An experienced technician uses a blower door and specialized equipment to pressurize the duct system, gauging the amount of air that is leaking. Test results are denoted in CFM25, representing the cubic feet of air per minute escaping under a pressure of 25 Pascals.
Cost of Ignoring Duct Leakage in Harrison, NJ
Substantial expenses can be associated with excessive duct leakage. The NJ Residential Building Code stipulates that newly erected dwellings must meet a duct leakage rate of 8 CFM25 or less per 100 square feet of conditioned space. Going over this limit can result in:
- Failed inspections: Houses exhibiting notable duct leakage may encounter hurdles in passing final inspections, causing delays in occupancy and potentially requiring costly duct repairs.
- Financial penalties: Certain municipalities in New Jersey have started implementing fines for residences that exceed the specified duct leakage limit.
- Wasted energy: The presence of leaky ducts may incur an average annual energy waste cost of $180-$550 for homeowners in Harrison, NJ.
Investing in Peace of Mind and Savings
The investment in duct leakage testing is relatively low compared to the potential costs of neglecting the problem. The cost of a thorough duct leakage test in Harrison, NJ is quite affordable. Nonetheless, the long-term savings in energy costs and enhanced comfort far outweigh the initial investment.
Taking swift action to fix duct leaks enables you to:
- Improve home comfort: Experience consistent temperatures in every room, saying goodbye to drafts and hot spots.
- Reduce energy bills: Optimize your energy consumption for savings on utility bills.
- Refine indoor air quality: Enjoy a more refreshing atmosphere with cleaner air flowing through your home.
- Raise home value: A successful duct leakage test enhances the desirability of a home for potential buyers.
Local Energy Audits: Your Companion in Ductwork Efficiency
At Local Energy Audits, we are aware of the importance of efficient ductwork in Harrison, NJ homes. We are committed to providing comprehensive duct leakage testing services, ensuring your home meets the required standards and functions at peak performance. Additionally, we offer expert advice on duct sealing and repair solutions, aiming to minimize leaks and maximize both your comfort and savings.
Don’t allow leaky ducts to compromise the comfort and energy efficiency of your space.
Connect with Local Energy Audits today to set up your duct leakage assessment. Breathe effortlessly, reduce costs, and experience a truly comfortable and energy-efficient home.
Duct leakage testing initiates by shutting all the ducts and registers with duct mask tape on both the supply and return side.
Once the registers are sealed, link the duct tester to either the unit or a primary return.
The ducts are depressurized to 25 Pascals. During this process, a nanometer can be used to assess the duct leakage.