Why Duct Leakage Testing Matters in Irvington, NJ
The essential network of duct pipes that distributes conditioned air throughout your home is vital for ensuring optimal HVAC performance. But, the escape of conditioned air through leaks in the ducts can compromise your home’s comfort and efficiency. Remarkable consequences are linked to this leakage:
- Discomfort: Duct leaks lead to inconsistent temperature levels, hot and cold spots, and drafts, creating a sense of stuffiness or chilliness, even with a properly functioning HVAC system.
- Higher energy bills: The existence of leaks in your ductwork compels your HVAC system to intensify efforts in maintaining desired temperatures, leading to escalated energy consumption and higher utility expenses.
- Poor indoor air quality: Leaky ducts have the potential to draw in impurities from the outdoors, putting your indoor air quality at risk and potentially leading to allergies and respiratory problems.
Duct Leakage Testing: A Proactive Approach
Testing for duct leakage provides a simple yet powerful way to detect and measure air leaks in your ductwork. A certified technician uses a blower door and specialized tools to build pressure in the duct system, quantifying the volume of air leakage. The test results are represented in CFM25, specifying the cubic feet of air per minute that escapes under a pressure of 25 Pascals.
Cost of Ignoring Duct Leakage in Irvington, NJ
The expense associated with excessive duct leakage can be notable. As per the NJ Residential Building Code, newly constructed homes are required to maintain a duct leakage rate not exceeding 8 CFM25 per 100 square feet of conditioned space. Surpassing this limitat can lead to:
- Failed inspections: Houses displaying excessive duct leakage might struggle passing final inspections, resulting in delays in occupancy and potentially requiring expensive duct repairs.
- Financial penalties: In certain New Jersey municipalities, fines are being imposed on homes that exceed the designated duct leakage limit.
- Wasted energy: Leaky ducts could lead to an average annual energy waste expense of $180-$550 for homeowners in Irvington, NJ.
Investing in Peace of Mind and Savings
Opting for duct leakage testing is a relatively cost-effective choice in comparison to the potential costs associated with overlooking the issue. The cost of a thorough duct leakage test in Irvington, NJ is quite reasonable. Nonetheless, the long-term savings in energy costs and enhanced comfort far outweigh the initial investment.
Quickly dealing with duct leaks enables you to:
- Improve home comfort: Maintain consistent temperatures in every room of your home, saying goodbye to drafts and heat irregularities.
- Bring Down energy bills: Reduce your energy usage and cut down on your utility expenses.
- Enhance indoor air quality: Enjoy a cleaner and fresher atmosphere that promotes easier breathing at home.
- Raise home value: Prospective buyers are more inclined to consider homes that achieve success in a duct leakage test.
Local Energy Audits: Your Partner in Ductwork Efficiency
At Local Energy Audits, we comprehend the importance of ductwork efficiency in Irvington, NJ homes. Our comprehensive services for duct leakage testing are designed to ensure your home meets required standards and functions optimally. Additionally, our expert guidance on duct sealing and repair solutions is designed to minimize leaks, ensuring maximum comfort and savings for you.
Ensure that leaky ducts do not compromise your comfort and energy efficiency—take proactive steps.
Contact Local Energy Audits today to schedule your duct leakage evaluation. Breathe easily, trim costs, and savor a home that’s genuinely comfortable and energy-efficient.
Duct leakage testing starts by closing off all the ducts and registers with duct mask tape on both the supply and return side.
After sealing the registers, attach the duct tester to either the unit or a main return.
The ducts are depressurized to 25 Pascals. While depressurized, a nanometer can be used to assess the duct leakage.