Why Duct Leakage Testing Matters in Summit, NJ
The essential system of ducts that circulates conditioned air throughout your home is important for maintaining optimal HVAC performance. But, the loss of conditioned air due to leaky ducts can compromise the overall comfort and efficiency of your home. This leakage leads to remarkable consequences:
- Discomfort: Leaky ducts result in inconsistent temperatures, creating temperature variations and drafts, causing your home to feel either uncomfortably warm or cool, even with a properly working HVAC system.
- Higher energy bills: Leaky ducts oblige your HVAC system to operate with increased intensity to sustain desired temperatures, causing a increase in energy consumption and higher utility bills.
- Poor indoor air quality: Ducts with leaks have the potential to draw in impurities from the outdoors, putting the indoor air quality at risk and potentially leading to allergies and respiratory problems.
Duct Leakage Testing: A Proactive Approach
An straightforward yet potent approach to pinpoint and measure air leaks in your ductwork is through testing for duct leakage. An experienced technician employs a blower door and specialized equipment to create pressure within the duct system, quantifying the volume of air leakage. Test results are denoted in CFM25, representing the cubic feet of air per minute escaping under a pressure of 25 Pascals.
Cost of Ignoring Duct Leakage in Summit, NJ
Significant leaks in the ducts may incur notable expenses. In accordance with the NJ Residential Building Code, newly constructed homes are required to maintain a duct leakage rate of no more than 8 CFM25 per 100 square feet of conditioned space. Surpassing this designated limit can lead to:
- Failed inspections: Residences with notable duct leakage may encounter hurdles passing final inspections, leading to delays in occupancy and possibly demanding costly duct repairs.
- Financial penalties: Some municipalities in New Jersey have started enforcing fines on residences that go beyond the established duct leakage limit.
- Wasted energy: Homeowners in Summit, NJ may face an average annual energy waste cost of $180-$550 due to leaky ducts.
Investing in Peace of Mind and Savings
The expense of duct leakage testing is modest in contrast to the potential financial impacts of ignoring the issue. The standard cost for a thorough duct leakage test in Summit, NJ is relatively cost-efficient. Nevertheless, the long-term savings in energy costs and improved comfort far surpass the initial investment.
Taking swift action on duct leaks allows you to:
- Improve home comfort: Encounter uniform warmth in your entire home, saying farewell to drafts and hot areas.
- Reduce energy bills: Reduce your energy usage and cut down on the costs of your monthly utilities.
- Improve indoor air quality: Enjoy a cleaner and fresher atmosphere that promotes easier breathing at home.
- Elevate home value: Potential buyers find a home more enticing when it successfully passes a duct leakage test.
Local Energy Audits: Your Companion in Ductwork Efficiency
At Local Energy Audits, we realize the vital role that efficient ductwork plays in Summit, NJ homes. Our services include comprehensive duct leakage testing, ensuring your home meets required standards and operates optimally. We also give expert guidance on duct sealing and repair solutions, with the goal of minimizing leaks and optimizing your comfort and savings.
Secure your comfort and energy efficiency by dealing with the challenge of leaky ducts.
Contact Local Energy Audits today and plan your duct leakage test. Enjoy easy breathing, save money, and relish a truly comfortable and energy-efficient residence.
Duct leakage testing starts by shutting all the ducts and registers with duct mask tape on both the distribution and return side.
Once the registers are sealed, fasten the duct tester to either the unit or a primary return.
The ducts are depressurized to 25 Pascals. While depressurized, a nanometer can be utilized to assess the duct leakage.