Why Duct Leakage Testing Matters in Cheswold, DE
Optimal HVAC performance is linked to the smooth operation of ductwork, which distributes conditioned air throughout your home. But, leaky ducts facilitate the loss of valuable conditioned air, influencing both the comfort and efficiency of your home. Significant outcomes result from this leakage:
- Discomfort: Leaks in the ducts lead to inconsistent temperature levels, temperature variations, and drafts, creating a sense of stuffiness or chilliness, even with a properly functioning HVAC system.
- Higher energy bills: Ducts with leaks necessitate your HVAC system to put in extra work to uphold desired temperatures, causing a surge in energy usage and higher utility bills.
- Poor indoor air quality: Leaky ducts may also attract impurities from the outdoors, jeopardizing the quality of your indoor air and potentially causing allergies and respiratory problems.
Duct Leakage Testing: A Proactive Approach
Duct leakage testing is a straightforward yet powerful technique for identifying and quantifying air leaks in your duct system. A proficient technician employs a blower door and specialized tools to build pressure in the duct system, measuring the quantity of air that escapes. Results from the test are communicated as CFM25, denoting the cubic feet of air per minute escaping under a pressure of 25 Pascals.
Cost of Ignoring Duct Leakage in Cheswold, DE
Substantial costs may arise from excessive duct leakage. The NJ Residential Building Code mandates that newly erected residences adhere to a duct leakage rate of 8 CFM25 or less per 100 square feet of conditioned space. Exceeding this limit may cause:
- Failed inspections: Residences experiencing excessive duct leakage might encounter difficulties passing final inspections, resulting in delays in occupancy and potentially requiring expensive duct repairs.
- Financial penalties: Certain municipalities in New Jersey have started implementing fines for residences that exceed the specified duct leakage limit.
- Wasted energy: The presence of leaky ducts may incur an average annual energy waste cost of $180-$550 for homeowners in Cheswold, DE.
Investing in Peace of Mind and Savings
The expense of duct leakage testing is relatively low in contrast to the potential financial impacts of ignoring the issue. The cost of a precise duct leakage test in Cheswold, DE is on the lower side. Nonetheless, the long-term savings in energy costs and enhanced comfort far outweigh the initial investment.
Taking swift action on duct leaks allows you to:
- Improve home comfort: Experience consistent temperatures in every room, saying goodbye to drafts and hot spots.
- Reduce energy bills: Bring down your energy usage and revel in reduced utility expenses.
- Enhance indoor air quality: Enhance your breathing environment with the circulation of cleaner air in your living space.
- Increase home value: Homes that clear a duct leakage test are perceived as more attractive to potential purchasers.
Local Energy Audits: Your Partner in Ductwork Efficiency
At Local Energy Audits, we grasp the significance of efficient ductwork in Cheswold, DE residences. To ensure your home meets required standards and operates at its peak, we provide comprehensive duct leakage testing services. Additionally, we extend our expertise in providing guidance on duct sealing and repair solutions, aiming to minimize leaks and enhance your comfort and savings.
Preserve your comfort and energy efficiency by addressing the problem of leaky ducts.
Get in touch with Local Energy Audits today to plan your duct leakage test. Breathe effortlessly, reduce expenses, and experience a genuinely comfortable and energy-saving home.
Duct leakage testing begins by closing off all the ducts and registers with duct mask tape on both the distribution and return side.
Once the registers have been sealed, link the duct tester to either the unit itself or a primary return.
The ducts are then depressurized to a Pascal of 25. With the ducts depressurized we can use the nanometer to get a reading of the duct leakage.