Why Duct Leakage Testing Matters in Colonia, NJ
Optimal HVAC performance is linked to the effective operation of the intricate system of ducts, which distributes conditioned air throughout your home. But, the escape of conditioned air through leaks in the ducts can impact your home’s comfort and efficiency. Significant outcomes result from this leakage:
- Discomfort: Uneven temperatures, hot and cold spots, and drafts emerge from leaky ducts, causing your home to feel either uncomfortably warm or cool, despite the HVAC system functioning properly.
- Higher energy bills: Leaky ducts oblige your HVAC system to operate with increased intensity to sustain desired temperatures, causing a surge in energy consumption and higher utility bills.
- Poor indoor air quality: Leaky ducts may also attract dust, pollen, and other outdoor contaminants, jeopardizing the quality of your indoor air and potentially causing allergies and respiratory problems.
Duct Leakage Testing: A Proactive Approach
An simple yet efficient method to discover and assess air leaks in your ductwork is through testing for duct leakage. A skilled professional employs a blower door and specialized tools to pressurize the duct system and quantify the volume of escaping air. The results of the test are represented in CFM25, specifying the cubic feet of air per minute that escapes under a pressure of 25 Pascals.
Cost of Ignoring Duct Leakage in Colonia, NJ
The expense associated with excessive duct leakage can be substantial. As per the NJ Residential Building Code, newly constructed homes are required to maintain a duct leakage rate not exceeding 8 CFM25 per 100 square feet of conditioned space. Going beyond this prescribed limit may cause:
- Failed inspections: Houses exhibiting notable duct leakage may encounter hurdles in passing final inspections, causing delays in occupancy and potentially requiring costly duct repairs.
- Financial penalties: Some municipalities in New Jersey have started enforcing fines on residences that go beyond the established duct leakage limit.
- Wasted energy: Homeowners in Colonia, NJ may encounter an average yearly energy waste cost ranging from $180 to $550 due to leaky ducts.
Investing in Peace of Mind and Savings
Choosing duct leakage testing is a relatively affordable decision compared to the potential costs of overlooking the problem. A detailed duct leakage test in Colonia, NJ is relatively budget-friendly. Yet, the long-term savings in energy costs and increased comfort significantly outweigh the initial investment.
Quickly resolving duct leaks allows you to:
- Improve home comfort: Enjoy even temperatures throughout your living space and eliminate drafts and hot spots.
- Bring Down energy bills: Lower your energy usage and enjoy savings on your utility costs.
- Improve indoor air quality: Breathe more comfortably as the air circulating in your home becomes cleaner.
- Increase home value: Potential buyers find a home more enticing when it successfully passes a duct leakage test.
Local Energy Audits: Your Partner in Ductwork Efficiency
At Local Energy Audits, we comprehend the importance of ductwork efficiency in Colonia, NJ homes. Our services include comprehensive duct leakage testing, ensuring your home meets required standards and operates optimally. Additionally, we extend expert advice on duct sealing and repair solutions to minimize leaks, aiming to enhance your comfort and savings.
Don’t allow leaky ducts to impact your comfort and energy efficiency—take proactive measures.
Contact Local Energy Audits today to schedule your duct leakage evaluation. Breathe easily, trim costs, and savor a home that’s genuinely comfortable and energy-efficient.
Duct leakage testing starts by sealing all the ducts and registers with duct mask tape on both the supply and return side.
After sealing the registers, attach the duct tester to either the unit or a main return.
The ducts are then depressurized to a Pascal of 25. With the ducts depressurized we can use the nanometer to measure the duct leakage.