Why Duct Leakage Testing Matters in Gilberton, PA
The essential ductwork that circulates conditioned air throughout your home is important for achieving optimal HVAC performance. But, the escape of conditioned air through leaks in the ducts can impact your home’s comfort and efficiency. The impact of this leakage is significant:
- Discomfort: Leaks in the ducts lead to uneven temperatures, hot and cold spots, and drafts, creating a sense of stuffiness or chilliness, even with a properly functioning HVAC system.
- Higher energy bills: The existence of leaks in your ductwork compels your HVAC system to intensify efforts in maintaining desired temperatures, leading to escalated energy consumption and higher utility expenses.
- Poor indoor air quality: Leaky ducts have the potential to draw in particles from the outside environment, putting your indoor air quality at risk and potentially leading to allergies and respiratory problems.
Duct Leakage Testing: A Proactive Approach
Testing for duct leakage provides a simple yet impactful way to detect and measure air leaks in your ductwork. A skilled specialist employs a blower door and specialized tools to build pressure in the duct system and measure the airflow escaping. CFM25 is the unit used to express the results of the test, denoting the cubic feet of air per minute leaking at a pressure of 25 Pascals.
Cost of Ignoring Duct Leakage in Gilberton, PA
The financial consequences of excessive duct leakage can be substantial. As dictated by the NJ Residential Building Code, newly built residences must adhere to a duct leakage rate that does not surpass 8 CFM25 per 100 square feet of conditioned space. Exceeding this limit may cause:
- Failed inspections: Homes with significant duct leakage might encounter challenges final inspections, causing delays in occupancy and potentially necessitating expensive duct repairs.
- Financial penalties: In certain areas in New Jersey, fines are being enforced for residences that surpass the designated duct leakage limit.
- Wasted energy: Ducts with leaks might result in an average annual energy waste cost of $180-$550 for homeowners in Gilberton, PA.
Investing in Peace of Mind and Savings
Duct leakage testing presents a relatively economical solution when considering the potential costs of neglecting the problem. The standard cost of a careful duct leakage test in Gilberton, PA is relatively low. However, the long-term savings in energy costs and increased comfort significantly outweigh the initial investment.
Quickly resolving duct leaks allows you to:
- Improve home comfort: Achieve steady temperatures across your entire home and wave goodbye to drafts and warm spots.
- Bring Down energy bills: Use less energy to save on costs associated with your utility bills.
- Enhance indoor air quality: Experience better air quality and easier breathing as cleaner air circulates in your home.
- Increase home value: The attractiveness of a residence increases when it passes the scrutiny of a duct leakage test.
Local Energy Audits: Your Companion in Ductwork Efficiency
At Local Energy Audits, the significance of ductwork efficiency in homes within Gilberton, PA is well understood. To ensure your home meets required standards and operates at its peak, we provide comprehensive duct leakage testing services. We also offer expert advice on duct sealing and repair solutions to minimize leaks, intending to maximize your comfort and savings.
Ensure that leaky ducts do not compromise your comfort and energy efficiency—take proactive steps.
Contact Local Energy Audits today and plan your duct leakage test. Enjoy easy breathing, save money, and relish a truly comfortable and energy-efficient residence.
Duct leakage testing begins by closing off all the ducts and registers with duct mask tape on both the supply and return side.
Once the registers are sealed, link the duct tester to either the unit or a primary return.
The ducts are depressurized to 25 Pascals. In this state, a nanometer can be utilized to measure the duct leakage.