Why Duct Leakage Testing Matters in Gilbertsville, PA
The network of duct pipes that conveys conditioned air throughout your home is vital for optimal HVAC performance. But, the release of conditioned air due to leaky ducts can impact the overall comfort and efficiency of your home. The effect of this leakage is significant:
- Discomfort: Ducts with leaks result in uneven temperatures, creating hot and cold spots and drafts, causing your home to feel either uncomfortably warm or cool, even with a properly working HVAC system.
- Higher energy bills: The presence of leaks in the ducts demands that your HVAC system works harder to maintain desired temperatures, leading to heightened energy usage and higher utility costs.
- Poor indoor air quality: Leaky ducts can also bring in dust, pollen, and other outdoor contaminants, posing a threat to the indoor air quality and potentially causing allergies and respiratory challenges.
Duct Leakage Testing: A Proactive Approach
Duct leakage testing is a straightforward yet potent way to identify and measure air leaks within your duct system. A qualified professional uses a blower door and specialized equipment to pressurize the duct system, gauging the amount of air that is leaking. CFM25 is used to express the results of the test, signifying the amount of cubic feet of air per minute leaking at a pressure of 25 Pascals.
Cost of Ignoring Duct Leakage in Gilbertsville, PA
Excessive duct leakage may incur notable expenses. In accordance with the NJ Residential Building Code, newly constructed homes are required to maintain a duct leakage rate of no more than 8 CFM25 per 100 square feet of conditioned space. Exceeding this limit can result in:
- Failed inspections: Homes with excessive duct leakage might struggle passing final inspections, resulting in delays in occupancy and potentially requiring expensive duct repairs.
- Financial penalties: In specific New Jersey municipalities, fines are being enforced for residences that surpass the designated duct leakage limit.
- Wasted energy: Ducts with leaks can result in an average annual energy waste cost of $180-$550 for homeowners in Gilbertsville, PA.
Investing in Peace of Mind and Savings
Duct leakage testing represents a relatively affordable solution when considering the potential costs of neglecting the problem. The average cost for a inclusive duct leakage test in Gilbertsville, PA is relatively cost-efficient. Nevertheless, the long-term savings in energy costs and improved comfort far surpass the initial investment.
Promptly handling duct leaks provides the opportunity to:
- Improve home comfort: Experience uniform temperatures in every corner of your home and bid farewell to drafts and heat inconsistencies.
- Bring Down energy bills: Bring down your energy usage and enjoy reduced utility expenses.
- Improve indoor air quality: Breathe more comfortably as the air circulating in your home becomes cleaner.
- Increase home value: A residence that passes a duct leakage test is more likely to catch the interest of potential buyers.
Local Energy Audits: Your Partner in Ductwork Efficiency
At Local Energy Audits, we understand the significance of ductwork efficiency in homes located in Gilbertsville, PA. To ensure your home meets required standards and operates at its peak, we provide comprehensive duct leakage testing services. In addition, we provide expert recommendations for duct sealing and repair solutions, aiming to minimize leaks and enhance your comfort and savings.
Take action to prevent leaky ducts from undermining your comfort and energy efficiency.
Contact Local Energy Audits today to set up your duct leakage assessment. Enjoy easy breathing, reduce costs, and experience a truly comfortable and energy-efficient home.
Duct leakage testing initiates by sealing all the ducts and registers with duct mask tape on both the supply and return side.
After sealing off the registers, connect the duct tester to either the unit itself or a main return.
The ducts are depressurized to 25 Pascals. In this state, a nanometer can be used to measure the duct leakage.