Why Duct Leakage Testing Matters in Glen Mills, PA
The network of duct pipes that conveys conditioned air throughout your home is essential for optimal HVAC performance. But, with leaky ducts, valuable conditioned air is free to escape, affecting the comfort and efficiency of your home. Notable results stem from this leakage:
- Discomfort: Ducts with leaks result in inconsistent temperatures, creating temperature variations and drafts, causing your home to feel either stuffy or chilly, even with a properly working HVAC system.
- Higher energy bills: Leaky ducts make it necessary for your HVAC system to work more rigorously in sustaining desired temperatures, resulting in increased energy consumption and elevated utility bills.
- Poor indoor air quality: Ducts with leaks have the capacity to draw in contaminants from outdoors, compromising the indoor air quality and potentially triggering allergies and respiratory problems.
Duct Leakage Testing: A Proactive Approach
Duct leakage testing is a clear-cut yet potent way to recognize and measure air leaks within your duct system. A proficient technician employs a blower door and specialized tools to build pressure in the duct system, measuring the quantity of air that escapes. Test outcomes are communicated as CFM25, specifying the cubic feet of air per minute that leaks at a pressure of 25 Pascals.
Cost of Ignoring Duct Leakage in Glen Mills, PA
Excessive duct leakage may incur significant costs. In accordance with the NJ Residential Building Code, newly constructed homes are required to maintain a duct leakage rate of no more than 8 CFM25 per 100 square feet of conditioned space. Exceeding this limit may cause:
- Failed inspections: Homes with notable duct leakage may face challenges passing final inspections, leading to delays in occupancy and possibly demanding costly duct repairs.
- Financial penalties: Certain areas in New Jersey have begun imposing fines on homes that go beyond the established duct leakage limit.
- Wasted energy: Ducts with leaks can result in an average annual energy waste cost of $180-$550 for homeowners in Glen Mills, PA.
Investing in Peace of Mind and Savings
The cost of duct leakage testing is relatively modest compared to the potential financial consequences of ignoring the problem. The average cost of a detailed duct leakage test in Glen Mills, PA is relatively budget-friendly. However, the long-term savings in energy costs and increased comfort significantly outweigh the initial investment.
Taking immediate action on duct leaks allows you to:
- Improve home comfort: Experience consistent temperatures in every room, saying goodbye to drafts and hot spots.
- Bring Down energy bills: Reduce your energy usage and cut down on the costs of your monthly utilities.
- Enhance indoor air quality: Inhale with greater comfort as the air circulating in your home becomes cleaner.
- Increase home value: A residence with a favorable duct leakage test outcome is more attractive to potential purchasers.
Local Energy Audits: Your Partner in Ductwork Efficiency
At Local Energy Audits, we comprehend the importance of ductwork efficiency in Glen Mills, PA homes. We provide extensive testing services for duct leakage, making sure your home complies with the necessary standards and operates at its best. Additionally, we offer expert advice regarding duct sealing and repair solutions, aiming to reduce leaks and enhance both your comfort and savings.
Don’t allow leaky ducts to compromise the comfort and energy efficiency of your space.
Reach out to Local Energy Audits now and plan your duct leakage test. Enjoy easy breathing, financial savings, and a truly comfortable and energy-efficient home.
Duct leakage testing begins by shutting all the ducts and registers with duct mask tape on both the distribution and return side.
After sealing off the registers, connect the duct tester to either the unit itself or a main return.
The ducts are depressurized to 25 Pascals. While depressurized, a nanometer can be used to measure the duct leakage.