Why Duct Leakage Testing Matters in Kingston, NJ
The vital ductwork that conveys conditioned air throughout your home is important for achieving optimal HVAC performance. But, with leaky ducts, precious conditioned air escapes, compromising your home’s comfort and efficiency. Significant outcomes result from this leakage:
- Discomfort: Inconsistent temperatures, along with temperature inconsistencies and drafts, result from ducts with leaks, making your home feel either stuffy or chilly, despite the HVAC system working as intended.
- Higher energy bills: The presence of leaks in the ducts requires your HVAC system to operate with greater intensity to uphold desired temperatures, causing a rise in energy usage and higher utility expenses.
- Poor indoor air quality: Ducts with leaks can also result in the intake of particles from the outside environment, compromising the indoor air quality and potentially causing allergies and respiratory challenges.
Duct Leakage Testing: A Proactive Approach
Duct leakage testing is a simple yet effective technique for identifying and quantifying air leaks in your duct system. A qualified professional employs a blower door and specialized equipment to build pressure in the duct system, quantifying the volume of air leakage. The test results are presented in CFM25, indicating the volume of air in cubic feet per minute leaking at a pressure of 25 Pascals.
Cost of Ignoring Duct Leakage in Kingston, NJ
Considerable costs can be associated with excessive duct leakage. The NJ Residential Building Code stipulates that newly erected dwellings must meet a duct leakage rate of 8 CFM25 or less per 100 square feet of conditioned space. Going over this limit can result in:
- Failed inspections: Homes displaying significant duct leakage may run into issues passing final inspections, causing delays in occupancy and potentially necessitating costly duct repairs.
- Financial penalties: Certain areas in New Jersey have begun imposing fines on homes that go beyond the established duct leakage limit.
- Wasted energy: Homeowners in Kingston, NJ might experience an average annual energy waste cost ranging from $180 to $550 due to duct leaks.
Investing in Peace of Mind and Savings
Choosing duct leakage testing is a relatively budget-friendly decision compared to the potential costs of overlooking the problem. A meticulous duct leakage test in Kingston, NJ is relatively affordable. Yet, the long-term savings in energy costs and increased comfort significantly outweigh the initial investment.
Addressing duct leaks promptly provides the opportunity to:
- Improve home comfort: Experience consistent temperatures in every room, saying goodbye to drafts and hot spots.
- Reduce energy bills: Optimize your energy consumption for savings on utility bills.
- Refine indoor air quality: Inhale with greater comfort as the air circulating in your home becomes cleaner.
- Boost home value: A home’s attractiveness to potential buyers is heightened when it passes a duct leakage test.
Local Energy Audits: Your Companion in Ductwork Efficiency
At Local Energy Audits, the significance of ductwork efficiency in homes within Kingston, NJ is well understood. We offer thorough duct leakage testing services to guarantee your home meets necessary standards and operates at peak efficiency. We also give expert guidance on duct sealing and repair solutions, with the goal of minimizing leaks and optimizing your comfort and savings.
Secure your comfort and energy efficiency by dealing with the challenge of leaky ducts.
Reach out to Local Energy Audits now to set up your duct leakage assessment. Breathe effortlessly, reduce costs, and experience a truly comfortable and energy-efficient home.
Duct leakage testing initiates by shutting all the ducts and registers with duct mask tape on both the supply and return side.
After sealing off the registers, connect the duct tester to either the unit itself or a main return.
The ducts are depressurized to 25 Pascals. While depressurized, a nanometer can be used to assess the duct leakage.