Why Duct Leakage Testing Matters in Palmyra, NJ
The essential network of duct pipes that conveys conditioned air throughout your home is key for maintaining optimal HVAC performance. But, with leaky ducts, valuable conditioned air is allowed to escape, affecting the comfort and efficiency of your home. Noteworthy consequences are associated with this leakage:
- Discomfort: Leaky ducts contribute to uneven temperatures, hot and cold spots, and drafts, causing your home to feel either uncomfortably warm or cool, even when the HVAC system is in good working order.
- Higher energy bills: The existence of leaks in your ductwork compels your HVAC system to intensify efforts in maintaining desired temperatures, leading to escalated energy consumption and higher utility expenses.
- Poor indoor air quality: Leaks in the ducts can also result in the intake of contaminants from outdoors, compromising the indoor air quality and potentially causing allergies and respiratory challenges.
Duct Leakage Testing: A Proactive Approach
Testing for duct leakage provides a clear-cut yet efficient way to detect and measure air leaks in your ductwork. A skilled professional uses a blower door and specialized tools to build pressure in the duct system, quantifying the volume of air leakage. Results from the test are communicated as CFM25, denoting the cubic feet of air per minute escaping under a pressure of 25 Pascals.
Cost of Ignoring Duct Leakage in Palmyra, NJ
Considerable costs can be associated with excessive duct leakage. The NJ Residential Building Code stipulates that newly erected dwellings must meet a duct leakage rate of 8 CFM25 or less per 100 square feet of conditioned space. Breaking this specified limit may lead to:
- Failed inspections: Homes with significant duct leakage may encounter issues passing final inspections, leading to delays in occupancy and potentially demanding costly duct repairs.
- Financial penalties: In certain New Jersey municipalities, fines are being imposed on residences that exceed the designated duct leakage limit.
- Wasted energy: Homeowners in Palmyra, NJ may face an average annual energy waste cost of $180-$550 due to leaky ducts.
Investing in Peace of Mind and Savings
The cost of duct leakage testing is relatively low compared to the potential financial consequences of ignoring the problem. The thorough cost for a duct leakage test in Palmyra, NJ is relatively cost-effective. Despite this, the long-term savings in energy costs and improved comfort far exceed the initial investment.
Quickly dealing with duct leaks enables you to:
- Improve home comfort: Enjoy even temperatures throughout your living space and eliminate drafts and hot spots.
- Bring Down energy bills: Minimize your energy consumption to save money on your utility bills.
- Refine indoor air quality: Enjoy improved respiratory comfort as cleaner air circulates throughout your home.
- Raise home value: The appeal of a residence is enhanced when it successfully clears a duct leakage test.
Local Energy Audits: Your Partner in Ductwork Efficiency
At Local Energy Audits, we realize the vital role that efficient ductwork plays in Palmyra, NJ homes. We specialize in comprehensive duct leakage testing services to guarantee your home meets required standards and operates at its best. We also give expert guidance on duct sealing and repair solutions, with the goal of minimizing leaks and optimizing your comfort and savings.
Secure your comfort and energy efficiency by dealing with the challenge of leaky ducts.
Reach out to Local Energy Audits today and arrange your duct leakage test. Breathe comfortably, cut costs, and relish a genuinely energy-efficient home.
Duct leakage testing begins by sealing all the ducts and registers with duct mask tape on both the supply and return side.
After sealing off the registers, connect the duct tester to either the unit itself or a main return.
The ducts are then depressurized to a Pascal of 25. With the ducts depressurized we can utilize the nanometer to get a reading of the duct leakage.