Why Duct Leakage Testing Matters in Parsippany-Troy Hills, NJ
The intricate system of ducts that conveys conditioned air throughout your home is vital for optimal HVAC performance. But, with leaky ducts, valuable conditioned air is allowed to escape, influencing the comfort and efficiency of your home. Considerable repercussions arise from this leakage:
- Discomfort: Leaky ducts cause temperature inconsistencies, variations, and drafts, giving your home a sensation of being either uncomfortably warm or cool, even with an operational HVAC system.
- Higher energy bills: Leaky ducts oblige your HVAC system to operate with increased intensity to sustain desired temperatures, causing a rise in energy consumption and higher utility bills.
- Poor indoor air quality: Leaky ducts might also attract dust, pollen, and other outdoor contaminants, jeopardizing the indoor air quality and potentially causing allergies and respiratory challenges.
Duct Leakage Testing: A Proactive Approach
Testing for duct leakage is a clear-cut yet effective technique for identifying and quantifying air leaks in your duct system. A certified professional employs a blower door and specialized tools to pressurize the duct system and measure the airflow escaping. The test outcomes are denoted in CFM25, representing the cubic feet of air per minute escaping under a pressure of 25 Pascals.
Cost of Ignoring Duct Leakage in Parsippany-Troy Hills, NJ
Considerable expenses may arise from significant leaks in the ducts. The NJ Residential Building Code mandates that newly erected residences adhere to a duct leakage rate of 8 CFM25 or less per 100 square feet of conditioned space. Exceeding this limit may cause:
- Failed inspections: Homes with notable duct leakage may face challenges passing final inspections, leading to delays in occupancy and possibly demanding costly duct repairs.
- Financial penalties: Certain localities in New Jersey have initiated the practice of levying fines on residences that surpass the duct leakage limit.
- Wasted energy: Ducts with leaks can result in an average annual energy waste cost of $180-$550 for homeowners in Parsippany-Troy Hills, NJ.
Investing in Peace of Mind and Savings
Duct leakage testing is a relatively affordable investment when weighed against the potential financial consequences of ignoring the issue. The typical expense for a inclusive duct leakage test in Parsippany-Troy Hills, NJ is relatively inexpensive. Nevertheless, the long-term savings in energy costs and enhanced comfort far surpass the initial investment.
Taking swift action on duct leaks allows you to:
- Improve home comfort: Achieve steady temperatures across your entire home and wave goodbye to drafts and hot spots.
- Reduce energy bills: Reduce your energy usage and cut down on the costs of your monthly utilities.
- Refine indoor air quality: Inhale with relief as the air circulating through your home becomes cleaner.
- Increase home value: The allure of a home is boosted when it achieves a passing result in a duct leakage test.
Local Energy Audits: Your Companion in Ductwork Efficiency
In Parsippany-Troy Hills, NJ residences, Local Energy Audits recognizes the importance of ductwork efficiency. To ensure your home meets required standards and operates at its peak, we provide comprehensive duct leakage testing services. Furthermore, we extend expert guidance on duct sealing and repair solutions to minimize leaks, elevating your comfort levels and maximizing savings.
Maintain your comfort and energy efficiency by addressing the issue of leaky ducts.
Contact Local Energy Audits today and organize your duct leakage test. Breathe comfortably, trim costs, and relish a truly comfortable and energy-efficient home.
Duct leakage testing begins by closing off all the ducts and registers with duct mask tape on both the distribution and return side.
After sealing off the registers, connect the duct tester to either the unit itself or a main return.
The ducts are then depressurized to a Pascal of 25. With the ducts depressurized we can utilize the nanometer to measure the duct leakage.