Why Duct Leakage Testing Matters in Port Deposit, MD
Ductwork that distributes conditioned air throughout your home is crucial for optimal HVAC performance. But, leaky ducts can result in the loss of precious conditioned air, impacting the comfort and efficiency of your home. This leakage brings about remarkable consequences:
- Discomfort: Inconsistent temperatures, along with temperature inconsistencies and drafts, result from leaky ducts, making your home feel either stuffy or chilly, despite the HVAC system working as intended.
- Higher energy bills: Leaky ducts necessitate your HVAC system to put in extra work to uphold desired temperatures, causing a surge in energy usage and higher utility bills.
- Poor indoor air quality: Ducts with leaks have the potential to draw in impurities from the outdoors, putting your indoor air quality at risk and potentially leading to allergies and respiratory problems.
Duct Leakage Testing: A Proactive Approach
Duct leakage testing offers a straightforward yet potent means of detecting and quantifying air leaks in your ductwork. An experienced technician employs a blower door and specialized tools to build pressure in the duct system and measure the airflow escaping. The test results are represented in CFM25, specifying the cubic feet of air per minute that escapes under a pressure of 25 Pascals.
Cost of Ignoring Duct Leakage in Port Deposit, MD
Substantial expenses can be associated with significant leaks in the ducts. The NJ Residential Building Code stipulates that newly erected dwellings must meet a duct leakage rate of 8 CFM25 or less per 100 square feet of conditioned space. Breaking this lmit may lead to:
- Failed inspections: Homes with significant duct leakage may struggle to pass final inspections, leading to delays in occupancy and potentially demanding expensive duct repairs.
- Financial penalties: Certain areas in New Jersey have begun imposing fines on residences that go beyond the established duct leakage limit.
- Wasted energy: Ducts with leaks can result in an average annual energy waste cost of $180-$550 for homeowners in Port Deposit, MD.
Investing in Peace of Mind and Savings
Duct leakage testing presents a relatively economical solution when considering the potential costs of neglecting the problem. A thorough duct leakage test in Port Deposit, MD comes with a reasonably inexpensive price tag. Yet, the long-term savings in energy costs and heightened comfort greatly exceed the initial investment.
Taking swift action on duct leaks allows you to:
- Improve home comfort: Attain consistent temperatures throughout your home and say goodbye to both drafts and heat inconsistencies.
- Reduce energy bills: Optimize your energy consumption for savings on utility bills.
- Improve indoor air quality: Experience enhanced breathability as cleaner air circulates throughout your living space.
- Boost home value: Homes that clear a duct leakage test are perceived as more attractive to potential purchasers.
Local Energy Audits: Your Partner in Ductwork Efficiency
At Local Energy Audits, we acknowledge the crucial role of efficient ductwork in homes within Port Deposit, MD. We are committed to providing comprehensive duct leakage testing services, ensuring your home meets the required standards and functions at peak performance. We also offer expert advice on duct sealing and repair solutions to minimize leaks, intending to maximize your comfort and savings.
Take action to prevent leaky ducts from undermining your comfort and energy efficiency.
Connect with Local Energy Audits today to set up your duct leakage assessment. Breathe effortlessly, reduce costs, and experience a truly comfortable and energy-efficient home.
Duct leakage testing starts by closing off all the ducts and registers with duct mask tape on both the distribution and return side.
Once the registers are sealed, fasten the duct tester to either the unit or a primary return.
The ducts are then depressurized to a Pascal of 25. With the ducts depressurized we can utilize the nanometer to get a reading of the duct leakage.