Why Duct Leakage Testing Matters in Raritan, NJ
The crucial ductwork that distributes conditioned air throughout your home is vital for ensuring optimal HVAC performance. But, the escape of conditioned air through leaks in the ducts can affect your home’s comfort and efficiency. The consequences of this leakage are significant:
- Discomfort: Inconsistent temperatures, along with hot and cold spots and drafts, result from leaky ducts, making your home feel either stuffy or chilly, despite the HVAC system working as intended.
- Higher energy bills: Ducts with leaks necessitate your HVAC system to put in extra work to uphold desired temperatures, causing a surge in energy usage and higher utility bills.
- Poor indoor air quality: Leaky ducts can also bring in particles from the outside environment, posing a threat to the indoor air quality and potentially causing allergies and respiratory challenges.
Duct Leakage Testing: A Proactive Approach
An easy yet potent approach to identify and measure air leaks in your ductwork is through testing for duct leakage. An expert professional utilizes a blower door and specialized equipment to build pressure in the ductwork and gauge the amount of air escaping. CFM25 is employed to convey the test results, indicating the cubic feet of air per minute escaping at a pressure of 25 Pascals.
Cost of Ignoring Duct Leakage in Raritan, NJ
The cost implications of excessive duct leakage can be substantial. As dictated by the NJ Residential Building Code, newly built residences must adhere to a duct leakage rate that does not surpass 8 CFM25 per 100 square feet of conditioned space. Exceeding this limit can result in:
- Failed inspections: Residences displaying significant duct leakage may face hurdles to pass final inspections, leading to delays in occupancy and potentially demanding expensive duct repairs.
- Financial penalties: In some New Jersey municipalities, fines are now applicable to residences that surpass the prescribed duct leakage limit.
- Wasted energy: Homeowners in Raritan, NJ could incur an average yearly energy waste cost of $180-$550 because of leaky ducts.
Investing in Peace of Mind and Savings
Opting for duct leakage testing is a relatively affordable investment in comparison to the potential costs associated with overlooking the issue. The cost of a comprehensive duct leakage test in Raritan, NJ is quite reasonable. Nonetheless, the long-term savings in energy costs and enhanced comfort far outweigh the initial investment.
Addressing duct leaks promptly affords you the opportunity to:
- Improve home comfort: Ensure uniform warmth throughout your entire home and bid farewell to drafts and heat irregularities.
- Lower energy bills: Optimize your energy consumption for financial savings on utility bills.
- Improve indoor air quality: Improve indoor air quality, providing easier and more comfortable breathing.
- Boost home value: A residence that passes a duct leakage test is more likely to catch the interest of potential buyers.
Local Energy Audits: Your Companion in Ductwork Efficiency
At Local Energy Audits, we realize the vital role that efficient ductwork plays in Raritan, NJ homes. We specialize in offering thorough duct leakage testing services to ensure your home meets the necessary standards and functions at its peak. Additionally, we extend expert advice on duct sealing and repair solutions to minimize leaks, aiming to enhance your comfort and savings.
Secure your comfort and energy efficiency by dealing with the challenge of leaky ducts.
Contact Local Energy Audits now to set up your duct leakage test. Breathe with ease, trim expenses, and relish a home that’s truly comfortable and energy-efficient.
Duct leakage testing initiates by closing off all the ducts and registers with duct mask tape on both the distribution and return side.
After sealing the registers, attach the duct tester to either the unit or a main return.
The ducts are then depressurized to a Pascal of 25. With the ducts depressurized we can use the nanometer to measure the duct leakage.