Why Duct Leakage Testing Matters in South Orange, NJ
Optimal HVAC performance is dependent on the proper functioning of the network of duct pipes, which circulates conditioned air throughout your home. But, leaky ducts can lead to the loss of precious conditioned air, influencing the comfort and efficiency of your home. This leakage leads to noteworthy consequences:
- Discomfort: Duct leaks lead to inconsistent temperature levels, temperature variations, and drafts, creating a sense of discomfort, even with a properly functioning HVAC system.
- Higher energy bills: Ducts with leaks compel your HVAC system to exert more effort in sustaining desired temperatures, resulting in elevated energy consumption and increased utility costs.
- Poor indoor air quality: Ducts with leaks have the potential to draw in dust, pollen, and other contaminants from outdoors, putting your indoor air quality at risk and potentially leading to allergies and respiratory problems.
Duct Leakage Testing: A Proactive Approach
Testing for duct leakage is a simple yet efficient method to identify and measure air leaks within your duct system. A certified professional uses a blower door and specialized tools to pressurize the duct system and assess the amount of air that escapes. Results from the test are articulated as CFM25, indicating the cubic feet of air per minute that escapes under a pressure of 25 Pascals.
Cost of Ignoring Duct Leakage in South Orange, NJ
The cost implications of excessive duct leakage can be significant. As outlined in the NJ Residential Building Code, newly constructed residences must meet a duct leakage rate of no more than 8 CFM25 per 100 square feet of conditioned space. Going over this limit can result in:
- Failed inspections: Homes with notable duct leakage may face challenges passing final inspections, leading to delays in occupancy and possibly demanding costly duct repairs.
- Financial penalties: In certain New Jersey municipalities, fines are being imposed on homes that exceed the designated duct leakage limit.
- Wasted energy: Ducts with leaks can result in an average annual energy waste cost of $180-$550 for homeowners in South Orange, NJ.
Investing in Peace of Mind and Savings
Duct leakage testing presents a relatively economical solution when considering the potential costs of neglecting the problem. The cost of a thorough duct leakage test in South Orange, NJ is quite economical. Nonetheless, the long-term savings in energy costs and enhanced comfort far outweigh the initial investment.
Taking swift action on duct leaks allows you to:
- Improve home comfort: Achieve even warmth throughout your home and say goodbye to drafts and hot areas.
- Bring Down energy bills: Bring down your energy usage and enjoy reduced utility expenses.
- Improve indoor air quality: Enjoy improved air circulation, making it easier to breathe in your home.
- Increase home value: The appeal of a residence is enhanced when it successfully clears a duct leakage test.
Local Energy Audits: Your Partner in Ductwork Efficiency
At Local Energy Audits, we comprehend the importance of ductwork efficiency in South Orange, NJ homes. Ensuring that your home meets the required standards and operates at its peak, we provide comprehensive duct leakage testing services. In addition, we provide expert recommendations for duct sealing and repair solutions, aiming to minimize leaks and enhance your comfort and savings.
Don’t allow leaky ducts to compromise the comfort and energy efficiency of your space.
Reach out to Local Energy Audits now and coordinate your duct leakage examination. Breathe with ease, financial savings, and a truly comfortable and energy-effective home await.
Duct leakage testing starts by sealing all the ducts and registers with duct mask tape on both the distribution and return side.
After sealing off the registers, connect the duct tester to either the unit itself or a main return.
The ducts are then depressurized to a Pascal of 25. With the while depressurized we can use the nanometer to get a reading of the duct leakage.