Why Duct Leakage Testing Matters in Stewartsville, NJ
The crucial system of ducts that distributes conditioned air throughout your home is vital for ensuring optimal HVAC performance. But, nevertheless, with leaky ducts, there is a risk of precious conditioned air escaping, impacting the comfort and efficiency of your home. Significant results arise from this leakage:
- Discomfort: Leaky ducts result in inconsistent temperatures, creating hot and cold spots and drafts, causing your home to feel either uncomfortably warm or cool, even with a properly working HVAC system.
- Higher energy bills: The existence of leaks in your ductwork compels your HVAC system to intensify efforts in maintaining desired temperatures, leading to escalated energy consumption and higher utility expenses.
- Poor indoor air quality: Ducts with leaks can also result in the intake of dust, pollen, and other outdoor pollutants, compromising the indoor air quality and potentially causing allergies and respiratory challenges.
Duct Leakage Testing: A Proactive Approach
Testing for duct leakage is a clear-cut yet effective method to discover and measure air leaks within your duct system. A skilled professional employs a blower door and specialized tools to pressurize the duct system and quantify the volume of escaping air. Test results are articulated as CFM25, indicating the cubic feet of air per minute that escapes under a pressure of 25 Pascals.
Cost of Ignoring Duct Leakage in Stewartsville, NJ
Excessive duct leakage can result in notable costs. According to the NJ Residential Building Code, newly built residences must adhere to a duct leakage rate of no more than 8 CFM25 per 100 square feet of conditioned space. Going beyond this limit may result in:
- Failed inspections: Residences with notable duct leakage may face challenges in passing final inspections, causing delays in occupancy and potentially requiring costly duct repairs.
- Financial penalties: In specific municipalities, fines are now applicable to homes that exceed the prescribed duct leakage limit.
- Wasted energy: Ducts with leaks might result in an average annual energy waste cost of $180-$550 for homeowners in Stewartsville, NJ.
Investing in Peace of Mind and Savings
The cost of duct leakage testing is relatively modest compared to the potential financial consequences of ignoring the problem. A detailed duct leakage test in Stewartsville, NJ is relatively budget-friendly. Yet, the long-term savings in energy costs and increased comfort significantly outweigh the initial investment.
Addressing duct leaks promptly affords you the opportunity to:
- Improve home comfort: Revel in steady temperatures across your living space, eliminating both drafts and hot spots.
- Lower energy bills: Use less energy to cut costs on your utility bills.
- Enhance indoor air quality: Experience easier and more comfortable breathing with the presence of cleaner air in your home.
- Boost home value: Homes that achieve a positive result in a duct leakage test are more alluring to potential buyers.
Local Energy Audits: Your Partner in Ductwork Efficiency
At Local Energy Audits, we realize the vital role that efficient ductwork plays in Stewartsville, NJ homes. Ensuring that your home meets the required standards and operates at its peak, we provide comprehensive duct leakage testing services. Additionally, we offer expert advice on duct sealing and repair solutions, aiming to minimize leaks and maximize both your comfort and savings.
Ensure that leaky ducts do not compromise your comfort and energy efficiency—take proactive steps.
Reach out to Local Energy Audits today and arrange your duct leakage test. Breathe comfortably, cut costs, and relish a genuinely energy-efficient home.
Duct leakage testing initiates by closing off all the ducts and registers with duct mask tape on both the supply and return side.
After sealing the registers, attach the duct tester to either the unit or a main return.
The ducts are then depressurized to a Pascal of 25. With the ducts depressurized we can utilize the nanometer to measure the duct leakage.