Why Duct Leakage Testing Matters in West Creek, NJ
Ductwork that distributes conditioned air throughout your home is vital for optimal HVAC performance. But, with leaky ducts, precious conditioned air leaks out, compromising your home’s comfort and efficiency. The repercussions of this leakage are considerable:
- Discomfort: Leaky ducts cause uneven temperatures, hot and cold spots, and drafts, giving your home a sensation of being either stuffy or chilly, even with an operational HVAC system.
- Higher energy bills: Ducts with leaks compel your HVAC system to exert more effort in sustaining desired temperatures, resulting in elevated energy consumption and increased utility costs.
- Poor indoor air quality: The presence of leaks in the ducts can lead to the infiltration of contaminants from outdoors, compromising the indoor air quality and potentially provoking allergies and respiratory issues.
Duct Leakage Testing: A Proactive Approach
Duct leakage testing provides an simple yet effective means of detecting and measuring air leaks in your ductwork. An experienced professional employs a blower door and specialized equipment to build pressure in the duct system, measuring the quantity of escaping air. CFM25 is used to express the test results, signifying the amount of cubic feet of air per minute leaking at a pressure of 25 Pascals.
Cost of Ignoring Duct Leakage in West Creek, NJ
The financial impact of significant leaks in the ducts can be significant. As outlined in the NJ Residential Building Code, newly constructed residences must meet a duct leakage rate of no more than 8 CFM25 per 100 square feet of conditioned space. Going beyond this prescribed limit may cause:
- Failed inspections: Houses exhibiting notable duct leakage may face challenges passing final inspections, leading to delays in occupancy and possibly demanding costly duct repairs.
- Financial penalties: Certain areas in New Jersey have started implementing fines for homes that exceed the specified duct leakage limit.
- Wasted energy: Ducts with leaks might result in an average annual energy waste cost of $180-$550 for homeowners in West Creek, NJ.
Investing in Peace of Mind and Savings
Duct leakage testing presents a relatively economical solution when considering the potential costs of neglecting the problem. The complete cost of a duct leakage test in West Creek, NJ is modest. Despite this, the long-term savings in energy costs and heightened comfort greatly exceed the initial investment.
Quickly dealing with duct leaks enables you to:
- Improve home comfort: Achieve even warmth throughout your home and say goodbye to drafts and hot areas.
- Reduce energy bills: Achieve savings on utility bills by reducing your overall energy consumption.
- Refine indoor air quality: Enjoy improved air circulation, making it easier to breathe in your home.
- Elevate home value: Prospective buyers are drawn to homes that have successfully undergone a duct leakage test.
Local Energy Audits: Your Companion in Ductwork Efficiency
In West Creek, NJ residences, Local Energy Audits recognizes the importance of ductwork efficiency. To ensure your home meets required standards and operates at its peak, we provide comprehensive duct leakage testing services. Additionally, we extend our expertise in providing guidance on duct sealing and repair solutions, aiming to minimize leaks and enhance your comfort and savings.
Take measures to prevent leaky ducts from jeopardizing your comfort and energy efficiency.
Contact Local Energy Audits today to schedule your duct leakage evaluation. Breathe comfortably, trim expenses, and savor a home that’s truly comfortable and energy-efficient.
Duct leakage testing initiates by closing off all the ducts and registers with duct mask tape on both the supply and return side.
After sealing off the registers, connect the duct tester to either the unit itself or a main return.
The ducts are then depressurized to a Pascal of 25. With the while depressurized we can use the nanometer to get a reading of the duct leakage.